Monday, June 5, 2017

Classes In Depth: Historic Sewing Workshop

As you may know, I am seriously into historic sewing. I have been making historic garments for almost 20 years, every since I went to my first Victorian Ball. "This is great," I thought, "but next year I am going to make my own dress!"

Over the years, I have learned a lot about historic techniques, accuracy, and different eras. A few years ago I translated that experience into a class.

Historic Sewing Workshop is a 5-session class that meets every other week, giving you plenty of time to do your sewing "homework" in between.

Treadle student Riki in her robe a la francaise

My personal experience ranges from about 1550 to 1880, but the class covers anything up to 1950, so vintage style projects are welcome. We'll cover corset-making for various eras, proper underwear and foundations, how to re-create a fashion plate or portrait, and so much more.

Treadle student Anne-Marie with her husband Dan at Versailles

This class is relatively free-form; you pick your own project, your own pace, and your own level of accuracy. If you want to hand-sew everything exactly like they did in Ye Olden Tymes, great! I'll show you how! If you'd rather machine-sew and take some shortcuts, that's great, too! We'll make a plan for whatever suits your needs.

Treadle student Marty in her 18th century ensemble

This class meets 
Friday 6:00 - 9:00 June 16, 30, July 14, August 4, 18
Skill Level: Intermediate 

Fee: $145
Instructor: Elizabeth Merritt


To sign up for any of our classes, call us at (651)698-9690 or simply stop by!

Take a look at all of our classes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment